For the cake:
- 250g(8oz) butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 2tbsp milk
- Finely zested rind of 2 lemons
For the syrup:
- 4 level tbsp caster sugar
- 4tbsp water
- Juice 2 lemons
For the filling:
- 3 level tbsp lemon curd
For the frosting:
- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) icing sugar
- 4 level tbsp lemon curd
- Pinch of salt
- 2 x 18cm (7in) solidbase sandwich tins, buttered and baselined
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- To make the cake: Beat the butter. Add the remaining ingredients to it and beat until smooth. Divide mixture between sandwich tins, and level surface.
- Bake cakes in the centre of oven for 30-35 mins, or until they have risen and feel just firm to the touch in the centre.
- Meanwhile, to make syrup: Pour 4tbsp water into a small pan; add sugar. Place pan on a low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring mixture to the boil; boil rapidly for 1 min, then remove pan from heat and add lemon juice.
- When cakes are cooked, remove from oven and pour syrup over each one. Leave cakes in tins for about 10 minutes until syrup has soaked in, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally, to give 4 layers in total. Sandwich together with 1tbsp lemon curd spread between each layer.
- To make the frosting: Beat butter until very soft, then add remaining ingredients and beat well until fluffy. Spread over the top and sides of the cake.
Nutritional information is for the maximum number of servings and does not include the ‘To serve’ suggestion
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.