The pretty lemon meringue cupcakes look as pretty as they are delicious – they’re a treat the whole family can enjoy.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
For the cupcakes:
- 12 cupcakes made using basic cupcake mixture (omit the vanilla extract and adding finely zested rind of 1 lemon to the mixture)
For the filling:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3-4 level tbsp lemon curd
For the meringue icing:
- Woman Weekly’s basic buttercream (but leave out the butter, which will give a plain meringue)
You’ll also need:
- Large piping bag fitted with 12mm (½in) plain piping tube
- As soon as the cakes come out of the oven, brush the tops with the lemon juice, then leave to cool on thewire rack.
- Spread a little lemon curd over the top of each cake
- Set the oven to gas mark 5 or 190°C.
- Fill the piping bag with the meringue mixture, and pipe spikes over the top of each cake
- Place them on a baking tray and cook in the oven for about 5-7 mins, or until the meringue is just starting to turn golden.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool on wire rack.
Nutritional information per portion