This simple lemon meringue recipe is a winner. Use high-quality lemon curd for extra flavour.
Total time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 175g (6oz) icing sugar
- Finely zested rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 284-300ml carton double cream
- 90g (3oz) meringue nests or shells, roughly crushed
- Half of a 300g jar lemon curd
- 1.25 litre (2 pint) loaf tin, lined with cling film]
- Tip the icing sugar into a bowl, add the lemon zest and juice and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the cream to the bowl and then whisk until the mixture forms soft peaks. Fold in the crushed meringue.
- Spoon a few teaspoons of lemon curd into the base of the loaf tin, then spoon on some of the cream mixture. Layer up small dollops of lemon curd and cream mixture. Cover the tin with cling film and freeze for at least 12 hours, or until it has frozen solid.
- Remove the tin from the freezer and remove the cling film from the top. Upturn the loaf on to a serving plate and peel away the cling film. This dessert should be soft enough to slice straight from the freezer. It will also keep in freezer for up to 3 months.
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Simon Pask. Props stylist: Selina Lake
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.