Perfect for an afternoon snack with a cuppa, this tangy citrus teabread tastes especially good spread with a little butter
Makes: 2 loaves (24 slices)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 350g (12oz) self-raising flour
- 125g (4oz) ground rice
- Pinch of salt
- 175g (6oz) butter or margarine
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- Grated rind of 2 medium lemons
- 300ml (½ pint) milk
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 2 x 20cm (8in) sandwich tins, buttered and base-lined
- Set the oven tor 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Sift the flour, ground rice and salt into a bowl then rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar, lemon rind, and the milk.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, but while still warm, slice as you would bread, and spread with butter.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.