Make this tasty salad for a packed lunch and you’ll be getting a serving of good-for-you oily fish, too.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 50g (1¾oz) orzo (rice-grain-shaped pasta) or other small pasta shape
- 2tsp olive oil
- 4-6 large basil leaves
- 1tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 4 baby plum tomatoes, sliced
- Good handful of spinach leaves
- 1 fillet (about 75g/2½oz) smoked mackerel
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta, according to pack instructions (about 8 mins).
- Drain it well, rinse through with cold water and drain again. Put in a bowl and add the oil and torn basil leaves.
- Stir in the pine nuts, tomatoes, spinach leaves and the skinned smoked mackerel, broken into large flakes. Season to taste.
- If making as a packed lunch, pack in a tub.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.