Bake this tasty, easy teatime treat and freeze it ready-sliced – you can whip out just what you need from the freezer when unexpected visitors drop by.
Makes: 16 slices
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 175g (6oz) butter
- 100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- Grated zest and chopped flesh of 1 large orange
- 250g (8oz) white marzipan, coarsely grated
For the icing:
- 100g (3½ oz) icing sugar
- 1-2tbsp orange juice
- 15g (½ oz) chopped pistachio nuts (or toasted almonds)
- Tray bake tin, lined with Bakewell paper
- Set the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a tbsp of the flour, then beat in the orange zest and roughly chopped orange flesh. Fold in the rest of the flour and half the marzipan.
- Spread the mixture into the tin and sprinkle the rest of the marzipan over the top. Bake for 35-40 mins. Leave in the tin for 10 mins to cool, then cool on a wire rack. Cut into 16 slices.
To serve now: Mix the icing sugar and orange juice to make a glacé icing. Drizzle it over the cake slices and sprinkle with pistachio nuts. Leave to set.
To freeze: Pack the slices into a rigid container, interleaving with paper. Seal, label and freeze. Use within 3 months.
To serve from freezer: Take out slices, thaw at room temperature, then ice and decorate them as above. For extra speed, pop a few slices at a time in the microwave, for a few seconds, to defrost.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.