Why not try this meat pancake, updated from the March 1924 issue of Woman’s Weekly? Packed full of chicken and seasonings, it makes a great light dinner
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 medium egg (instead of ¼ tsp egg powder)
- 3 tbsp milk
- About 2 tbsp cooked meat, minced or finely chopped (we used 60g/2oz cooked chicken, shredded)
- 1 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- Good pinch ground mace or grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp vegetable oil, or dripping
- Put the flour into a bowl, add a pinch of salt, the egg and enough milk to make a smooth batter. Stir in the meat and spring onion and season with salt, pepper and ground mace or nutmeg.
- Heat the vegetable oil, or dripping, in a small frying pan until it gets very hot, almost smoking. Pour in the batter and fry until golden brown, then turn the pancake over and brown the other side. Fold in half and serve at once (on a dish paper!) with fried leftover potatoes and salad.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.