Aubergines baked with a tomato and mozzarella cheese topping. Ideal for as a meat-free family meal or a dinner party main course
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hr 5 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato ketchup
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 good-sized aubergines
- 60g (2oz) stoned olives, drained and chopped
- 60g (2oz) ready-grated vegetarian mozzarella
- About 10 basil leaves
You’ll also need:
- Shallow ovenproof dish
- Fry onion for a few mins in 1tbsp of the oil, add the garlic and cook for 5 mins. Stir in the tomatoes and ketchup and simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 mins until thickened. Season.
- Cut each aubergine into 8 thin slices. Pick out the largest 12 slices; brush these on both sides with oil, and griddle or grill in batches until browned. Set aside on a baking sheet. Griddle or grill the rest, then chop them and put in a bowl.
- Add 4 tbsp tomato sauce and the olives to the chopped aubergine; mix well. Spoon just over half of the rest of the tomato sauce into dish.
- Set the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6. Lay aubergine slices out on a board and divide the filling between them. Sprinkle with half of the cheese and half of the basil leaves, shredded. Roll each slice up. Pack them in the dish, seam-side down. Spoon rest of sauce over and sprinkle on the cheese. Bake for 20 mins. Sprinkle with chopped basil leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.