Feed the family for under a £5 with our are delicious and healthy mince, bean and mash pie. Serves six – so great for big families or seconds!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 55 mins
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 400g (14oz) lean minced beef
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g can whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried thyme, oregano or mixed herbs
- 400g can baked beans
- 1kg (2¼lb) potatoes, peeled
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 leek, about 250g (8oz), thinly sliced and rinsed
- 100g (3½oz) kale or winter greens, shredded
- 5 tablespoons milk
- Knob of butter
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 litre (3½ pint) ovenproof dish
1. Heat a large frying pan, add the mince in one layer and once it has browned, add the onion and fry for 10 mins, stirring it occasionally, breaking it up with a spoon. Drain off the fat.
2. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, herbs and 300ml (½ pint) hot water. Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, for 20 mins. Stir in the baked beans. Spoon into the dish.
3. Meanwhile, set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Cut the potatoes and carrot into chunks, and cook with the garlic in boiling salted water until tender. Steam the leek and greens over the top, or place them in a bowl and cook in the microwave for a few mins.
4. Spoon the greens over the mince. Drain the potato and carrot and put them return them to the pan. Add the milk and butter and mash well. Season. Spoon the mash over the greens and roughen the top with a fork. Put the dish on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until really hot.
Nutritional information per portion