This quick, cheap and easy minestrone soup recipes uses leftover or frozen veg and cooked meat with pasta and beans in a tomato stock.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 500g carton passata (tomato sauce)
- 150g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 60g (2oz) orzo (rice-shaped) pasta
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube
- Good pinch of dried oregano
- About 125g (4oz) cooked vegetables, eg, carrots and parsnips, chopped
- About 100g (3½ oz) cooked meat — we used gammon
- Handful of cooked cabbage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the oil and onion in a large pan, and cook for about 5 mins until the onion is soft.
- Add the passata, plus 500ml (16fl oz) water, the beans, pasta, a crumbled stock cube and the oregano.
- Bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chopped vegetables and cooked meat. Heat through and serve topped with shredded, cooked cabbage that’s also been heated through, in a microwave. Season and serve.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.