Spice up your coleslaw with our Morroccan-style slaw. Mix spices and chilli to red onions, peppers and cabbage in a large bowl – it’s great served with grilled meat or fish
Prep time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 2 level tbsp caster sugar
- 2 level tsp Ras el hanout
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Shake of Tabasco sauce, optional
- ½-1 large red chilli, deseeded
- 1 small red onion, peeled
- 1 Romano or bell red pepper, deseeded
- 200g (7oz) Savoy cabbage wedge
- 200g (7oz) red cabbage wedge
- Mix the sugar and spice in a large bowl with the vinegar, oil and a pinch of salt, and adding Tabasco, if you like.
- Finely slice the chilli and onion and add to the dressing in the bowl. Slice the pepper into thin strips and add to the bowl.
- Finely shred the cabbage wedges, discarding the core. Add to the other ingredients and mix well (with your hand is best). Serve the salad on its own or with grilled meat or fish. This makes a lot, but it will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.