Brighten up your breakfast table with this homemade fruit and nut muesli – a delicious family favourite!
Makes: 12 x 75g servings
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 60g (2oz) hazelnuts, chopped
- 60g (2oz) flaked almonds
- 60g (2oz) sultanas
- 60g (2oz) bran flakes
- 170g pack dried berries and cherries, or cranberries
- 500g (1lb) jumbo oats or porridge oats
- Semi-skimmed milk (300ml/½ pint per person — 75ml/5 tablespoons if soaking, plus extra for serving)
- Greek yogurt
- Fresh seasonal fruit: mango slivers, apple slices or bananas, pineapple and red grapes
- Honey or maple syrup
- Toast the nuts in the oven, under the grill or in a frying pan, watching to make sure that they don’t burn. Leave to cool in a large bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix together. Store the mixture in an airtight tin or large jar.
- Use about 75g (2½oz) muesli per person. For serving as traditional (Bircher) muesli, add 75ml (5 tablespoons) semi-skimmed milk per person. Leave covered in the fridge overnight (it will still be crunchy in the morning — promise!).
- Serve in bowls with more milk, topped with a good spoonful of yogurt and fresh fruit. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup.
Nutritional information per recipe
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.