A fruity and spicy mulled wine syrup is very tasty when added to wine. This is a great gift for Christmas or anytime of the year.
Makes: 2 bottles
Prep time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 275g (9oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 12 juniper berries
- 8 whole cloves
- ¾ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 orange, sliced
- 2 bottles, sterilise
- Put the first 6 ingredients into a large pan with 900ml (1½ pints) water. Heat mixture very gently to dissolve the sugar slowly, then boil for 5 mins. Leave to cool in the pan.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 2 or 150°C. Line a baking sheet with non-stick paper or a sheet of Teflon. Arrange the orange slices on the paper. Bake for 20 mins until they are dry.
- Sterilise a funnel by pouring boiling water over it, then use to fill the sterilised bottles with mulling syrup. Divide the cinnamon sticks and juniper berries between them. Seal and store for up to 2 months. To serve: Warm 450ml (¾ pint) of the syrup with 1 bottle of wine.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.