This tempting soup is rich in protein and is a hearty, warming choice for all the family
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 40 mins
Total time: 1 hr 50 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 300g (10oz) dried yellow split peas
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) chicken or vegetable stock, or water
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 bay leaves and a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 500g (1lb) joint of smoked gammon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Rinse the peas thoroughly and put them in a large bowl.
- Cover with cold water and set aside, covered, overnight.
- Drain peas and put in a big stockpot
- Pour in stock, or water, bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, herbs and gammon
- Bring back to the boil, skim off any scum, then reduce the heat to very low
- Cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Take out the gammon. Set aside to cool a little
- Remove the bay leaves and sprigs of thyme.
- Blend the peas, vegetables and stock in a food processor until smooth
- Put back into the pan and heat through for serving, adjusting the consistency and checking for seasoning.
- Remove the skin and fat from the gammon and shred the meat (you should have about 350g/12oz) into small pieces.
- Serve the hot soup with chunks of meat added, and garnish with parsley
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.