This simple bread recipe, flavoured with olives and rosemary, is delicious and easy to make.
Prep time: 1 hr 25 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time:2 hrs 25 mins
- 500g (1lb) strong white bread flour
- 7g sachet easy-blend yeast1½ teaspoons sea salt, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
- 175g (6oz) pimento-stuffed Halkidiki mixed olives, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 rosemary sprigs
- 2 x 13cm (5in) high terracotta flower pots, lined with baking parchment
- Put flour, yeast, salt and sugar into a large bowl with olives. Pour in olive oil and 250-300ml (8-10fl oz) warm water. Mix to combine, and knead on a floured surface by hand for 10 minutes or in a free-standing electric mixer with a dough hook for 5 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Put into a greased bowl, cover with cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place for 20-30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2, shape into rounds; ease each one into a flower pot. Press rosemary sprigs in the top, cover loosely with cling film, and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (will take about 30 minutes).
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220°C. Remove cling film from bread and reduce oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Bake bread for 35 minutes until golden. To test if loaf is ready, upturn out of pot and tap base; it should sound hollow. Cool on a wire rack.
To serve: Cut into wedges.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.