Use leftover meat and vegetables to make a quick and easy rice pilaff all in one pot.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 22 mins
Total time: 32 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 1 onion, peeled, cut into wedges and leaves pulled apart
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- About 30g (1oz) butter
- 1 rounded tbp curry paste (we used Kashmiri)
- 300g (10oz) basmati and wild rice
- 600ml (1 pint) hot chicken stock
- About 250g (8oz) cooked chicken, shredded
- About 200g (8oz) cooked vegetables, eg, carrots, beans, cauliflower and frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- In a large frying pan over a medium heat, cook the onion and garlic in the butter for 5 mins. Add the curry paste and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Stir in the rice and then pour in the hot stock. Cover and cook over a low heat for about 10 mins. Stir in the cooked meat and vegetables, and cook for another 5 mins or until the stock is absorbed, the rice is tender and the pilaff is piping hot.
- Season the pilaff, then sprinkle the lemon zest and juice over the top and serve.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.