A creamy dessert delicately flavoured with orange blossom water and served with ripe, juicy summer berries
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 600ml carton double cream
- 150ml (¼ pint) full-cream milk
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 3 sheets leaf gelatine
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- 2tsp orange blossom/orange flower water
- 3tbsp sweet dessert wine, or 1tbsp orange juice
For the fruit salad:
- 3tbsp sweet dessert wine or orange juice
- 1tsp orange blossom/orange-flower water
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 125g (4oz) strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 125g (4oz) raspberries
- Tiny mint sprigs, for decoration
- 6 x 120ml dariole moulds, lightly oiled
- Put the cream and milk into a pan with the orange zest. Bring to boil, then simmer for about 15 mins until the liquid has reduced to 600ml (1 pint). Do watch that it doesn’t boil over.
- Meanwhile, put the gelatine sheets in a large bowl. Pour cold water over them to cover and leave to soak for 5 mins. Drain off the water and, using your hands, gently squeeze out excess water from the now-floppy gelatine. Add the gelatine to the cream mixture in the pan and stir until dissolved. Strain into a large jug. Put the orange zest back in (or discard it, if you prefer). Stir in the sugar, and when it has dissolved, mix in the orange-blossom or orange-flower water and the wine, or orange juice.
- Pour cream into the moulds on a tray. Chill until set, for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To marinate the fruit: Mix the wine or orange juice, orange-blossom water and sugar in a large bowl. Add the fruit. Leave for at least 10-15 mins for the flavours to infuse.
- To serve: Gently pull the sides of each panna cotta away from mould with your fingertips and turn them out on to individual plates. Spoon fruit round the desserts. Decorate with mint sprigs.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.