These orange chocolate muffins are great for picnics or with a cuppa. And they can be frozen for up to a month!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time:15 -20 mins
- 300g (10oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 90g (3oz) caster sugar
- 100g bar of orange-flavoured chocolate, cut into chunks
- 200ml (7fl oz) milk
- 2 medium eggs
- Finely zested rind of 1 orange plus 4tbsp juice
- 4tbsp sunflower oil
- 12-hole muffin tin, lined with paper cases
- Set the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6).
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl then stir in the sugar and chocolate.
- Lightly beat together the milk, eggs, orange zest and juice and sunflower oil. Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients, but take care not to over-mix or the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins. The muffins are cooked when they have risen and feel firm to the touch when lightly pressed in the centre. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Cook’s tip: You can also freeze these muffins. Once cold, pack them in a freezer bag, seal and freeze for up to 1 month. Allow muffins to defrost for a few hours, then warm through in a hot oven for a few minutes before serving.Per muffin: 284 calories; 10g fatFeature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.