For the pancakes:
- 250g tub ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 orange: grated zest for batter; peeled and sliced to serve
- 60g (2oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1-2 oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts
- Clear honey, for drizzling
To make the pancakes:
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 3 or 160°C for keeping the pancakes warm. Put ricotta, sugar and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and beat well with electric beaters
- Add the orange zest, flour and salt, and fold in to make a smooth batter.
- Whisk the egg whites, with clean beaters, in another bowl, to soft-peak stage, then fold into the batter mixture.
- Warm a non-stick pan on a medium heat, then add a little of the butter. When it starts to sizzle, put 4-6 heaped tablespoons of mixture (about 5cm/2in in diameter) into the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes each side until slightly puffed up and golden
- Keep cooked pancakes warm in oven on a baking tray.
- Stack 3 pancakes per person on a plate, layering with orange slices. Sprinkle with nuts and drizzle with honey.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.