Crunchy biscuit treats, dripping with orange icing – share around at kids’ parties or keep all to yourself.
Cooking time: 15 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 125g (4oz) butter, softened125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- Zested rind of 1 orange
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
For the glaze:
- 175g (6oz) icing sugar
- 3tbsp orange juice
- Set the oven to 180°C gas mark 4.
- In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and orange rind and then mix in the flour to form a firm dough.
- Take 60g (2oz) pieces and roll out each to 35.5cm (14in) long, then twist together. Cut twisted length into 4 pieces and place on a baking sheet. Repeat until all of the dough has been used. Chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Cook the twists in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins, until the edges are just starting to brown.
- To make the glaze: Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and mix in the orange juice. Remove the twists from the oven and immediately brush the glaze over each one. Leave to cool and set.
Storage notes: Not suitable for freezing, but will keep well for up to 4-5 days in an airtight container.Nutritional information is for the maximum number of servings
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.