This recipe for pan-fried cod with spinach and noodles makes a healthy and delicious family meal. So quick and simple to make, it’s ready in minutes
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 200g medium egg noodles
- 220g bag spinach leaves, washed
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 x 150g (5oz) pieces of cod fillet
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ of a large cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 4 long radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- A few pieces of sushi ginger, optional
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Heat a small frying pan, add the sesame seeds and toast them for a few seconds until golden. Tip them into a bowl.
- Add boiling water to a pan, bring back to the boil, put in the noodles. Leave off the heat for 4 mins, stirring occasionally, to rehydrate. Drain off water and put the noodles in a bowl. Add the spinach to the pan and let it wilt for a couple of mins over a medium heat.
- Meanwhile, reheat frying pan and add the rapeseed oil, put in the cod, skin-side down, and cook over a medium heat, with the lid on, for about 3 mins, depending on thickness. Flip the fish over and cook for 1-2 mins longer until it just turns opaque. Season.
- Mix the cucumber sticks, radish slices and sushi ginger, if using, with the vinegar and 1 tbsp sesame oil.
- Add the other spoonful of sesame oil to the noodles. Divide them and the spinach between 4 plates. Put the fish on top and spoon cucumber and radish salad over, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.