Fruity, nutty individual sponge puds with a delicious orange sauce
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 45g (1½oz) sultanas
- Rind and juice of ½ orange
- 90g (3oz) self-raising wholemeal flour (or half wholemeal and half white self-raising flour)
- 90g (3oz) soft light brown sugar
- ½tsp each bicarbonate of soda, ground cinnamon and mixed spice
- Pinch of salt
- 4tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 90g (3oz) 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 2 pineapple rings from a 227g can, chopped; set aside the other 2 slices and the juice
- 30g (1oz) pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped
For the sauce:
- Rind and juice of 1 orange
- 1 pot creme fraiche
- 4 dariole moulds (dessert moulds), lightly greased, and base-lined
- Soak the sultanas and orange rind in 2 tbsp of the orange juice for an hour, if you have time.
- Set oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C. Sift flour into a large bowl and mix in the sugar, soda,spices and salt. Add oil and egg and mix well, then fold in carrot, pineapple, nuts and the soaked sultanas and rind in orange juice.
- Divide the mixture between the 4 tins. Put on a baking tray and bake for 30-35 mins until well-risen and just firm.
- To make the sauce: Peel the rind from half of the orange. Cut into very fine strips and blanch in a pan of boiling water for a min, then drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside
- Mix the juice from the orange plus the ½ orange left over from the puddings, with the juice from the can of pineapple, in a small pan. Bring to the boil and boil for 5 mins until reduced to about 4 tbsp. Add the crème fraiche and boil for another 5 mins.
- Leave the puddings in their tins for 5 mins, then turn them out. Spoon a little sauce over and decorate with orange strips. Serve warm with the extra sauce, and the leftover pineapple, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.