Why not turn your fruit crumble into a crumble cake? Our peach crumble cake is so easy and quick to make, just bake for 20 mins then cut into big slices for an afternoon treat
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 350g (12oz) self-raising flour
- 2 level tsp mixed spice
- 175g (6oz) butter, cut into pieces
- 150g (5oz) golden caster sugar
- 8 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 415g can peaches in syrup, drained
- Icing sugar, for dusting
You will also need
- 18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) tin, lined with Bakewell paper
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Put the flour and spice into a food processor with the butter. Pulse to form crumbs.
- Add the sugar and 3 tbsp of the buttermilk. Pulse to make a very coarse, clumpy crumble. Tip out into a bowl, then put two-thirds of the mixture back in the food processor and set aside the rest.
- Add the remaining buttermilk and the vanilla extract to the mixture in the processor and blend to a smooth consistency. Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Arrange the drained peaches evenly over the cake mixture, then spoon on the reserved clumpy crumble, leaving some of the fruit uncovered.
- Bake for 20 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake mixture comes out clean.
- Cut into chunky slices and dust with icing sugar to serve
Nutritional information per portion