A tasty salad of roasted Romano peppers and tomatoes flavoured with anchovy fillets and basil leaves. A great summer salad for the whole family.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes
- 2 large or 3 small red Romano peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 50g or 60g can anchovies, drained (keep the oil)
- 6 basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 small red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 125g pack buffalo mozzarella
- 6-8 black olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Set the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Put tomatoes in a bowl, pour boiling water over them and leave for 30 secs. Take out and cool under cold water, then peel skins off. Quarter, remove the seeds and roughly chop the flesh.
- Halve peppers lengthways, take out the core and seeds. Put peppers in a roasting tin and fill with the tomato, garlic, anchovy fillets and torn basil leaves.
- Add red onion wedges to the tin. Drizzle onion and peppers with the anchovy oil (2-3 tbs) and grind pepper over. Roast for 40-50 mins, depending on size.
- Rip mozzarella into chunks on to 2 platters, put peppers on top, sprinkle with the roasted onion and olives. Spoon any cooking juices over and drizzle with oil. Garnish with basil leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.