Go treat yourself by making this delicious coffee pavlova – a bit of effort to make but certainly worth all the effort.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 mins
Total time: 2 hrs
Skill level: Bit of effort
For the meringue:
- 4 large egg whites
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp good coffee granules, sifted
- 1 level tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
For the filling:
- 250g tub mascarpone cheese
- 450ml (¾ pint) double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 4 tbsp Marsala or Tia Maria or Kahlua
- About 2 tsp coffee essence (eg, Camp coffee)
- Grated chocolate or sifted cocoa powder, for the top
- Large baking sheet, lined with Bakewell paper with a 20cm (8in) circle drawn on it
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 1 or 140°C. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add half the sugar and whisk in well, then add the rest of the sugar and the sifted coffee granules, and whisk quickly to shiny peaks. Now quickly whisk in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Place big spoonfuls of meringue round the inside edge of the circle on the Bakewell paper, then fill in the middle with the rest of the meringue, levelling the surface. Put the tray in the oven and bake meringue for 1¼-1½ hours until crisp. Turn off the oven and leave the door open slightly. Leave the Pavlova inside to coolfor an hour, if you can. Cool at room temperature.
- To make the filling: Whip the mascarpone in a large bowl, to soften it, then add the cream, sugar and Marsala, and whisk to the consistency of whipped cream. Spoon into the Pavlova on the serving plate.
- Drizzle coffee essence over the filling, then sprinkle with grated chocolate or sifted cocoa powder.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.