A really indulgent meringue dessert with redcurrant jelly, double cream and topped with pomegranate sauce.
- 2 large egg whites
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 1 level tsp cornflour
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 very ripe pomegranate
- 3tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 300ml (½ pint) double cream
- Baking trays, lined with Bakewell paper
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C. Whisk the egg whites to stiff-peak stage. Whisk in the sugar, a tablespoonful at a time, until the meringue is shiny and stiff. Sift in the cornflour and sprinkle in the vinegar, and fold them in.
- Put dessertspoonfuls of the meringue on the Bakewell paper and hollow out the centres a little. Put in the oven, then straight away reduce the temperature to gas mark 2 or 150°C. Cook for 30 mins. Turn off the oven; leave Pavlovas to cool in oven with the door open.
- Take out the pomegranate’s seeds. Warm the jelly until it softens, then add the pomegranate seeds. Stir, and leave to cool and thicken.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream and put teaspoonfuls of cream on the meringue, then spoon pomegranate sauce on top.
Cook’s tip: Leftover cream and sauce can be served on ice cream.Per serving: 109 calories, 8g fat. Not suitable for freezing.Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.