This hearty slow-cook pork casserole recipe is easy to prepare and a sure family favourite
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs
Total time: 2 hrs 20 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4 pork loin steaks
- 175g (6oz) dried ready-to-eat prunes
- 2-3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 level tbsp plain flour
- 500ml (16fl oz) medium cider
- 1 pork or vegetable stock cube
- 1 level tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Brown the pork loins well on both sides, then remove them from the pan. Place them in the slow-cook pot and scatter the prunes on top.
- Add the carrot, celery and leek to the pan and continue to cook for a further 2-3 mins.
- Stir in the flour, then the cider and stock cube and bring to the boil, stirring well, until the sauce thickens and the stock cube dissolves. Stir in the mustard and seasoning.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and prunes. Put a lid on the pot and cook for 2-3 hours on high, or 4-6 hours on low.
- Serve with mashed potato and green beans. Can be frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost thoroughly before reheating.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.