Mix up the flavours in this unusual salad with potatoes, apple, fennel and beetroot. Delicious with smoked mackerel.
Cooking time:20 mins
- 200g (7oz) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 100g (31/2oz) fennel (½ bulb), trimmed (keep the fronds) and finely diced
- 2tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ rounded tsp hot horseradish from a jar
- 1 red-skinned apple (Jazz variety used here)
- 1 lemon, half of it sliced, plus the juice from the other half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few sprigs of dill
- 2 small, cooked beetroot
- 1tsp olive oil
- Handful of rocket leaves
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets
- 1 Add the potato to a pan of boiling water and cook for 3 mins. Stir in the fennel and cook for another 2-3 mins or until the potato is just soft. Drain, rinse with cold water, then drain well again.
- Mix the mayonnaise and horseradish in a large bowl and gently stir in the cooled potato and fennel mixture.
- Quarter the apple, remove the core and dice the apple, adding it to the lemon juice in a small bowl. Coat the apple well with juice then mix the apple and juice into the potato mixture with seasoning and the chopped fronds of fennel, if any, or dill sprigs.
- Chop the beetroot, finely dicing it, and mix with the olive oil.
- Spoon the potato salad on to a plate then spoon the chopped beetroot on the side. Top with a few rocket leaves.
- Arrange the mackerel on top of the potato salad with some lemon slices and dill sprigs.
Extra info: Not suitable for freezing but the salad will keep for a day in the fridge.Per serving: (for 4) 150 calories; 10g fatFeature: Kate Moseley. Photos: David Jordan. Props stylist: Rosie Hopper
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.