Try these creamy savoury pancakes and serve with sliced smoked salmon, crème fraîche, and lemon
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 500g (1lb) floury potatoes
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 284ml carton buttermilk (or full-fat milk)
- 198g can sweetcorn, drained
- About 30g (1oz) butter, and a little vegetable oil
- 6-8 slices smoked salmon
- 200ml carton crème fraîche
- Lemon wedges
- Peel half of the potatoes and put into a pan of cold water, bring to boil and cook for about 15 minutes until soft. Drain and dry well back in the pan. Mash them and put into a bowl to cool.
- Peel and coarsely grate rest of potato. Add to mash with the flour, bicarbonate of soda and seasoning, then add buttermilk, or just enough milk to make a very thick batter. Stir in sweetcorn.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Heat a large, non-stick, ovenproof frying pan, add a little butter and oil, and all the batter mixture, to fill the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes, then turn the heat to low until it firms, after 10 minutes. Brush the top with a little butter, then put the pan in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Grill it if it’s not browned.
- Turn the pancake out and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Serve with salmon, crème fraîche, and lemon.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.