Want a quick and healthy lunch in minutes? Try out our home-made potted mackerel on toasted rye or farmhouse bread, topped with sliced radishes and rocket
Prep time: 6 mins
Cooking time: 4 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 2 fresh or frozen (thawed) mackerel fillets
- 50g butter
- A pinch of ground mace
- A pinch of ground cayenne
- Plenty of freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Toasted rye or farmhouse bread, sliced radishes and rocket, to serve
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the mackerel fillets, skin-side down, and cook for 4 mins, turning them once. Remove from the pan and flake the fish, discarding the skin and any bones.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt with the ground mace, ground cayenne and plenty of ground black pepper. Remove from the heat, add the flaked fish and beat in with the lemon juice.
- Spread the potted mackerel on warm toast and serve with sliced radishes and rocket leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.