This prawn cocktail has avocado and grapefruit in it and comes with a delicious spicy mayonnaise and tomato ketchup dressing
Prep time: 20 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 1 round (or butter) lettuce, leaves washed and chilled
- 150g (5oz) cooked tiger prawn tails
For the dressing:
- 3tbsp mayonnaise
- 1tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1tsp brandy, or good dash of Worcester sauce
- Dash of Tabasco sauce or pinch of cayenne
- About ¼tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the dressing: Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl or jug.
- To assemble the salad: Peel and segment the grapefruit over a plate to catch the juices. Cut the avocado in half and take out the stone. Slice avocado fairly thinly, then with a sharp knife, slice the flesh away from the skin, adding the slices to the grapefruit juice on the plate as you go, to prevent them browning and to give them flavour.
- Arrange the whole or torn lettuce leaves in 4 glass dishes. Add the grapefruit segments, avocado and prawns, and drizzle with dressing. Season.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.