Looking for a tasty alternative to cheese on toast? Whip up this quick and easy croque monsieur as the perfect meal or snack for the whole family.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time:20 mins
- 40g (1½ oz) butter, softened
- 4 thick slices white bread
- 1 heaped tsp plain flour
- 5tbsp milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 2tsp Dijon mustard
- 75g (2½oz) Comte or Emmental cheese (available from supermarkets), grated
- 4 slices oak-smoked ham, or gammon
- Butter all 4 slices of bread on just one side with half the butter and put them (butter-side down) on a board.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a small pan over a medium heat and add the flour, stir gently until blended. Then add the milk gradually to make a thick sauce.
- Take off the heat, add the egg yolk, mustard and grated cheese and beat until smooth.
- Spread a little of the cheese mixture thinly over 2 unbuttered sides of the bread and spread the rest thickly on the other 2 slices. Fold the slices of ham and arrange them on top of the thickly-spread slices. Then place the other slices of bread on top of each, buttered side up, to make sandwiches. Press down lightly.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and cook sandwiches for about 3 mins each side, until golden and crisp. Take out and cut into triangles. Serve immediately. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.