It’s lovely to wake up and enjoy a freshly-cooked kedgeree. This is topped with smoked salmon and quails’ eggs for a posh treat
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 6 quails’ eggs
- About 30g (1oz) butter
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 280g pack ready-cooked pilau rice (we used Veetee Dine-In)
- 125g (4oz) sliced smoked salmon
- Smoked paprika or chilli powder, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add the quails’ eggs to a saucepan of gently boiling water and cook for 2½ mins. Drain, cover eggs with cold water and set to one side for a few mins to cool.
- Put half the butter in a large bowl with the chopped spring onions. Microwave on High for 30 secs. Stir in the rice, cover and microwave on High for 2 more mins.
- Meanwhile, peel the eggs and cut them in half. Tear the salmon into pieces straight into the rice and carefully stir it in to cook the fish.
- Add the rest of the butter and the quails’ eggs. Sprinkle with paprika, or chilli powder, if using, and season.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.