This healthy low-fat bowl of Quorn, bean and spinach soup is made from frozen foods. Just as nutritious and tasty as using fresh foods and just as quick to prepare
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 350ml (12fl oz) frozen chicken or vegetable stock, home-made or ready-made
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tsp freshly grated, or frozen prepared, ginger
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 frozen fillets of Quorn, cut into thin strips (taken from a 312g pack of 6 frozen fillets)
- 100g (3½oz) frozen green beans, cut into short strips
- 2-3 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 180g sachet frozen, pre-cooked basmati rice (taken from 720g pack of 4 sachets)
- About 60g (2oz) frozen leaf spinach (4 chunks)
- 1 tbsp chopped frozen coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- Garlic bread, to serve
- Heat the stock in a pan with the fish or soy sauce, mirin, ginger, and sugar. Bring to the boil for a few mins. Add the Quorn strips and beans. Bring back to simmer for 4 mins.
- Add the spring onions, rice and spinach and cook for another couple of mins. Stir in the coriander and enough lime juice, to taste. Serve with garlic bread; if frozen, bake or grill according to pack instructions. Or toast frozen bread and spread with garlic butter.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.