Have this salad as a light starter served with prawns or smoked salmon, or it can be served asa side salad.
- 100ml(3½fl oz) white
- wine vinegar
- 4tbsp caster
- Pinch of salt
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and finely shredded
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1-2tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Pour the vinegar into a small saucepan and add the sugar and salt. Place the pan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and then boil the vinegar for 2-3 mins until it thickens a little and is slightly syrupy. Pour the syrup into a bowl and leave it to cool.
- Stir the fennel, radish and mint into the syrup, and leave it to marinate for at least 30 mins before serving, so the vegetables will absorb the flavours.
- Serve with prawns or smoked salmon, if liked (not suitable for freezing).
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Simon Pask. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.