Melt-in-the-mouth nutty meringue sandwiched together with sweet summer fruit cream. This dessert both looks and tastes wonderful, and makes an impressive addition to your dinner table
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs
Total time: 2 hrs 20 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 6 egg whites
- 375g caster sugar
- 1tsp cornflour
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 150g shelled hazelnuts, skin still on, chopped
For the filling:
- 300ml tub whipping cream
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- 250g raspberries
- 125g redcurrants, plus more for dredging
- 2 baking sheets
- Bakewell/baking paper
- Set the oven to 150°C or gas mark 2. Draw three circles of about 21cm, 18cm and 15cm on the Bakewell paper, then place on the baking sheets.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff, whisk in half the sugar, then gradually whisk in the remainder. Mix the cornflour and vinegar to a smooth paste and fold into egg whites with all but 1 heaped tbsp of the nuts. Spread meringue in the three circles. Sprinkle nuts on the smallest one.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues in for another hour or longer. Take out and cool.
- Whip the cream with the sugar until it just holds it shape. Crush most of the fruit with a fork and fold into the cream to give a marbled effect. Spread it over the 2 larger meringues. Sandwich them together, with the small one on top. Pop the reserved whole fruits round the edges. Dust with icing sugar.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.