A light and crumbly pastry encasing succulent apples and strawberries. This rustic pie is perfect for afternoon tea, dessert or even as a snack
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 200g (7oz) plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 125g (4oz) chilled butter, cubed
- 60g (2oz) ground almonds
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 90g (3oz) golden caster sugar
- 30g (1oz) white breadcrumbs
- 3 tbs thickening granules
- 3 eating apples, quartered and cored
- 250g (8oz) strawberries, hulled and halved
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Baking parchment
- Large heavy baking sheet
- Put the flour into a food processor with the butter and whizz for a few seconds to breadcrumb stage. Add the ground almonds, egg and 2 tbs of the sugar, then whizz again until the mixture forms into a ball. Turn out, wrap pastry in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Set the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll out the pastry on a large sheet of floured baking parchment to a circle about 30cm (12in) in diameter. It’s very soft pastry, so don’t worry if it doesn’t roll out perfectly. Ease the parchment on to the baking tray.
- Sprinkle the centre of the pastry with breadcrumbs and thickening granules. Pile the prepared apples and strawberries on top, leaving a wide border, and sprinkle over the cinnamon.
- Gather the pastry up and over the fruit. Sprinkle with the rest of the sugar. Bake for 35-40 mins, until the pastry is golden and the fruit is tender.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.