This rhubarb pie is the ultimate comfort food to end a meal – serve with cream, custard or tangy creme fraiche. Top with a crispy lattice-style pastry topping for extra bite
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 55 mins
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 375g packet dessert pastry
- Beaten egg, for glaze
- 1-2 tbsp granulated sugar
For the filling
- 500g rhubarb, sliced about 4cm (1½in) long
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Zested rind of 1 orange
- Knob of butter
- 24cm round enamel pie plate
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Line base of pie plate with half the pastry. Prick with a fork.
- Place the rhubarb in a bowl and stir in the sugar, flour and orange rind. Spoon the mixture into the pastry case and put the knob of butter on the top.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into strips about 2-3cm (¾-1¼in) wide. Brush water around the edge of the pastry lining the pie plate. Weave the strips over the top of the pie. Press the ends of the strips down well where they join the pastry base and carefully cut off any excess.
- Brush egg glaze over the top of the pastry and sprinkle over the granulated sugar.
- Place the pie on the baking sheet. Bake in the centre of the oven for 45-55 mins, or until the pastry is golden and the rhubarb feels tender when prodded with a skewer or knife.
- Remove the pie from the oven and serve warm
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.