This intense dark chocolate tart is the ultimate sweet treat and is the perfect way to finish a meal
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 55 mins
- 250g (8oz) dessert or plain shortcrust pastry
For the filling:
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- 250g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 300g (10oz) plain chocolate, melted
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- Icing sugar, for dusting
20cm (8in) round, loose-bottomed tin
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface and line the tin with it. Prick the base with a fork and then chill it for at least 15 minutes.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up for about 5 minutes. Line the pastry case with a sheet of baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Place on the hot baking sheet and bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked. Remove the sheet of paper with the baking beans.
- To make the filling: Lightly beat together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar until slightly foamy. In another bowl, beat the butter into the melted chocolate and add the vanilla. Gradually pour the chocolate mixture on to the eggs, beating well so that the chocolate doesn’t set and become lumpy. Using a stick blender will help to get the mixture smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case and bake in the centre of the oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until the filling has
- just set. Leave to cool for about 15 minutes. Remove from the tin and slide off the base on to a wire rack to cool completely, then chill it until it’s firm.
- Dust icing sugar over the top of the tart just before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.