Roast dinner for under £1 a head! Serve up to 6 people with this delicious pork belly recipe, it’s so tasty they’ll never guess how cheap it is
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs
Total time: 2 hrs 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme, plus a little extra
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Good pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- About 1kg (2¼lb) piece boneless belly pork
For the roast veg:
- 1kg (2¼lb) root veg (we used swede, carrot, potatoes and parsnip)
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mix the cumin, thyme, pepper and salt with 2 tablespoons of the oil in a dish large enough to put the pork in flat. Add the meat, skin-side up, and rub the marinade into the flesh. Chill, uncovered, for a few hours or overnight.
- Set the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3. Rub pork skin with oil and salt. Put it in a roasting tin, swish out marinade dish with 5 tablespoons water, pour that into the tin and roast for 2 hours.
- When the meat has been cooking for 1½ hours, peel the root veg and onion and chop into 2cm (¾in) chunks. Put a tin, with oil in it, into the oven to heat up. Add the swede and carrot to a pan of boiling salted water, bring back to the boil, then add the potato and parsnip and simmer for 5 mins.
- Turn the oven heat up to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 5. Drain the veg well and put back in the pan to dry off. Tip them into the roasting tin, add the onion, sprinkle with thyme and coat them in oil. Put the pan in the oven on the shelf under the pork. The pork skin should crisp and blister after 30-40 mins.
- Take meat out of the oven; leave it to rest for 20-30 mins. Turn veg and cook until golden. Remove pork crackling and slice meat to serve with the veg.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.