Usually made with the leftovers from a roast, bubble and squeak can also be used as a side dish for a roast dinner. This roast bubble and squeak is delicious cooked in duck fat
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 2 tbsp duck fat or olive oil/rapeseed oil
- 1kg (2¼lb) large floury potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 200g pack cabbage greens
- 200g pack smoked bacon lardons
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Put in a roasting tin, with the fat in it, to get piping hot. Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 4-5 mins. Put the greens in a steamer over potatoes and cook for a few mins. Drain the potatoes well and return them to the pan. Put the lid on and shake the panto dry the potatoes and roughen the edges.
- Tip them into the hot fat and shake the tin. Add the bacon and roast for 40 mins, turning the potatoes occasionally. Add the steamed cabbage and cook for another 10 mins to heat it through.