A Woman’s Weekly recipe for a comforting and easy to prepare side dish using hearty winter root vegetables. This recipe would complement a Christmas or roast dinner perfectly
Serves: 6 – 8
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 500g (1lb) celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 500g (1lb) parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 500g (1lb) carrots, peeled and cubed
- 50g (1¾oz) butter, melted
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 50g (1¾oz) Gruyère or mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C. Place the vegetables in a large pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over a high heat, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain vegetables, return to the pan; pour in the melted butter and add plenty of seasoning. Mash until smooth and transfer to an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the cheese over.
- Cook in centre of oven for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is light golden. Serve immediately.
- Pack mash into a suitable container and freeze for up to 1 month. Allow to defrost before reheating.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.