A delicious chocolate cake with a raspberry, rose petals and cream filling. It is iced with chocolate and decorated with pretty rose petals. Great for all occasions.
Prep time: 50 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hr 40 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 200g (7oz) butter
- 100g bar good plain chocolate (60% cocoa solids)
- 1 level tbs instant coffee granules
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 30g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 300g (10oz) light muscovado sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 5 tbs buttermilk
For the filling:
- 125g (4oz) raspberries
- 1 dark pink rose bloom
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp rose water
- 3 tbs raspberry jam
- 150ml (¼ pint) double cream
For the icing:
- 300ml (½ pint) double cream
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 200g bar good plain chocolate, (as before), broken into chunks
- 2 pesticide-free dark pink rose blooms, to decorate
- 20cm (8in) deep, round cake tin, buttered and base lined
- Set the oven to gas mark 3 or 160°C. Put the butter, chocolate, and coffee granules and 125ml (4fl oz) water into a pan. Heat gently until it all melts and mixes well. Leave for 5 mins to cool.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and muscovado sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs and buttermilk, and beat in the chocolate mixture, to make a smooth batter. Pour into the cake tin. Bake for 1½ hours, or longer, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin, then turn out on a wire rack to cool.
- To make the filling: Put the raspberries and finely torn rose petals into a bowl, sprinkle with the sugar and rose water. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Slice the cake into 2 rounds. Put the top piece, top-side down, on a plate and spread the jam over evenly, almost to the edges. Whip the cream and spread it to within about 1cm (½in) of the edge, then spoon the fruit-and-petals mixture on top and spread it almost to the edge of the cream. Put the other half of the cake, bottom up, on top. Chill the cake while you make the icing.
- To make the icing: Bring the cream and sugar to the boil in a pan, then stir into a large bowl containing the broken chocolate. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Leave to cool, stirring occasionally, for about 40-50 mins when it should be thick enough to smooth over the top and sides of the cake. Leave for 30 mins to set. Decorate with rose petals.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.