This hearty soup recipe is brilliant for using up any roast dinner leftovers and it’s only 200 calories per bowl and lots of healthy beans and veg in it too
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g can whole or chopped tomatoes
- 410g can borlotti or other beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) turkey or chicken stock
- About 200g (7oz) cooked ham, cut roughly into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Good handful of fresh parsley leaves, to garnish
- In a large pan, soften the onion, carrot and celery in the oil for 5 mins
- Add the garlic and bay leaf and cook for 5 mins.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans and stock
- Simmer for about 20 mins until the carrots are just tender.
- Ladle about half the soup into a blender and whizz until almost smooth, then pour back into the pan.
- Add the ham and cook for about 5 mins until piping hot, and check seasoning.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley, and drizzle with olive oil, if you like.
- Serve hot with bread.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.