These delicious canapés make a great dinner party nibble – and you can start preparing them the night before
- 500g (1lb) new potatoes, scrubbed
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh chives, plus extra for garnish
- 200ml carton crème fraîche
- 150-200g packet smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
- Caviar, for garnish
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover them with water. Bring to the boil and cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until they are just tender. Remove the pan from heat and drain the potatoes. Run cold water over the potatoes to cool them quickly.
- Stir the chopped chives into the crème fraîche.
- Cut the cold potatoes in half and spoon a little of the crème fraîche mixture on each, and then arrange a strip of smoked salmon on top. Spoon on a little caviar and garnish with chives. Serve within 30 minutes of making.
Top tip: The potatoes can be cooked up to the end of step 1 the day before. Then store them in a plastic bag in the fridge overnight.Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Noel Murphy. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.