All you need is 15 mins to make this delicious, herby sauce. Spoon over simply cooked fish, chicken or red meat to add a tasty twist to your meal
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 30g (1oz) flat-leaf parsley
- 30g (1oz) basil, or mint, or a mixture of both
- 1 slice white bread (about 30g/1oz)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tbsp capers
- 125g (4fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and pat the herbs dry (using a tea towel).
- Tear bread into a food processor and whizz to make crumbs. Add the red wine vinegar, then the herbs, and pulse for a few seconds to make a paste.
- Add crushed garlic, chopped anchovy fillets and 1 tbsp capers. Pulse again. Gradually add olive oil. You don’t want the sauce to be too fine. Taste, add pepper and the remaining capers. Use within 2 days.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.