Entice yourself away from cooking cod by cooking these delicious and healthy sardines. Serve with a fennel and orange salad and potatoes
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 6 whole sardines or 4 good-sized mackerel fillets
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 oranges
- 1 head fennel, trimmed
- 4 radishes
- A few pea shoots or watercress sprigs
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Put a baking tray in the oven to heat up with 1 tbsp of the oil. Spread the potato slices out on the tray and coat them in the hot oil. Cook for 20 mins, then turn them over and cook for another 10-15 mins.
- Slash both sides of each fish, or the skin of the mackerel fillet, with a sharp knife. Brush with the rest of the oil, rub them with the paprika and place in a foil or Bakewell paper-lined roasting tin. Squeeze over 2 tbsp juice from 1 of the oranges. Roast the fish for the last 10-12 mins of the potatoes cooking.
- Meanwhile, make the salad. Segment the other orange, catching the juice in a bowl. Add the rest of the juice from the first orange, and then add the orange segments. Finely slice the fennel and radishes and add to the orange and juice.
- Put the fish on serving plates. Spoon over the cooking juices and serve, topped with the leaves, along with the salad and potatoes.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.