Impress your nearest and dearest with a surprise breakfast or brunch by making posh egg on toast. Poach quail’s eggs, sauté leeks and serve with Parma ham on toasted wholemeal bread or sourdough.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 2 slices Parma ham
- A large knob of butter plus extra for buttering toast
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 2-3 quail’s eggs (or 1 hen’s egg) per person
- 2-3 slices wholemeal bread or sourdough bread, toasted
- Tear the Parma ham into pieces, add to a hot pan and cook until crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Add a large knob of butter to the pan with the sliced leek and garlic. Sauté for 5 mins until softened.
- Poach the eggs in gently simmering water, 1-2 mins for quail’s eggs or 2-3 mins for hen’s eggs, until cooked to your liking. Butter the toast and spoon over the leeks and Parma ham. Place the eggs on top and season.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.