A tasty seafood tartlet made with prawns and fish and baked with an egg and cheese mixture. They’re great either as a first course or a main meal
Prep time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 10 mins
Total time: 1 hr 50 mins
- 300g (10oz) ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 250g (8oz) coley or ling
- 60g (2oz) mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 level tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 150g (5oz) cooked and shelled tiger prawns, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml carton double cream
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 medium egg
- 1 medium egg yolk
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C.
- Roll out the pastry to 3mm (1/8in) thick and line 4 x 12cm (4½in)-diameter, shallow tartlet cases. Lightly prick the bases and refrigerate them for 15-20 mins before baking.
- Line pastry cases with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake the tartlet cases blind for 8-10 mins, then remove the parchment paper with the baking beans and bake them for a further 3-4 mins, until they are pale golden in colour. Reduce the oven temperature to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and gently fry the onion for 3-4 mins, until soft but not browned.
- Put the coley or ling in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-6 mins until the fish is cooked. Drain and allow the fish to cool slightly. Flake the fish, removing any skin and bones.
- Mix together the cheese, tarragon, prawns and flaked fish. Season. 7In a bowl, whisk together the cream, milk, egg and egg yolk.
- Spoon the fish mixture into the tarts and carefully pour in the egg mixture.
- Return the tartlets to the oven and bake for 15-20 mins,
- until lightly set. Serve warm for lunch or as a main meal starter.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.