New to making homemade marmalade? Try a traditional Seville orange marmalade as your first attempt and then experiment with new flavours
Makes: 3kg (6lb)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs 30 mins
Total time: 2 hrs 40 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 1kg (2lb) Seville oranges
- 2kg (4lb) jam sugar
- Place the oranges in a pan and pour over 3 litres (5 pints) water. Bring to the boil, then simmer the oranges gently for 1½-2 hours or until they are very soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and lift out the oranges. Leave them until they’re cool enough to handle, then cut them in half and scoop the flesh into the cooking liquid, reserving the shells. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 mins.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve into a preserving pan or a large pan, pressing the pulp down well to extract as much juice as possible.
- Slice the rind shells finely. Add the sugar and sliced rinds to the pan, place the pan over a low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and boil the marmalade rapidly for 7-10 mins, until setting point 105°C is reached (gauge with a sugar thermometer).
- Remove the pan from heat, put a little marmalade on one of the cold plates and return it to the freezer for a few minutes. Remove the plate from freezer and press the jam: if the surface wrinkles the marmalade is ready. If not, boil for a few more minutes, then check again the same way.
- Once setting point has been reached, skim off any scum and leave the marmalade to cool for 10-15 mins before pouring it into warmed, sterilised jars. Place a wax disc on top, wax-side down, pressing it down so there are no air bubbles under the paper. Leave to cool before covering the jars with lids or cellophane.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.